Tuesday 10 April 2018

South Otago High School Vietnam Tour 2018 - Introduction

This blog is designed to keep family and friends updated on the South Otago High School Vietnam tour 2018. I aim to post each evening about the days events. There will be times when I am unable to post, however, I will do me best.

I had an idea to run a Vietnam trip two years ago. It was through my contacts at other schools and hearing the benefits that I decided that this should go ahead.

We held our first meeting in March 2017 where approximately 80 students were interested in the trip. This number was soon narrowed down to 37 (as well as 12 parents and 4 staff).

Fundraising kicked into place soon after and we completed the following activities
- Cheeserolls
- Catering (Clutha Vets & Rotary Club)
- Nothing Naughty Bars
- Christmas Hams

In total, student managed to fund raise over $20,000 through the school and I know that students fund raised for themselves along the way also.

So tomorrow, the 12th of April, we are off. I have attached a summary of what we are doing below.


Thursday 12th April – Dunedin to Auckland
Friday 13th April – Dunedin to Singapore where we will stay in the Singapore transit hotel
Saturday 14th April – Singapore to Hanoi. We will spend three days in Hanoi visiting historic features such as Ho Chi Minh’s house, Hoa Lo Prison as well as a number of markets.
Tuesday 17th April  – Overnight cruise on Halong Bay
Wednesday 18th April – Fly to Hoi An where we will visit the village of My Lai and learn about the My Lai Massacre which occurred during the Vietnam War.
Saturday 21st April – we will be visiting Hue where we will take a boat trip down the perfume river
Sunday 22nd April – Fly to Ho Chi Minh City where we will spend two nights and will visit the Cu Chi tunnels which were used by the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War.
Tuesday 24th April – Fly back home via Singapore and Christchurch.


I want to thank a number of people who are able to make this trip possible and I apologise if I have left anyone out.

- Parents who have let their students take part in this amazing trip and who have helped fund raise.
- South Otago High School Board of Trustees for approving the trip
- People in the district who have supported fundraising
- Rod Deverson, Mike Beeby, Leesa Bathgate and Helen Williams for giving up their time as staff to help me.
- David Smith - Hello World (travel agent)
- Shirt sponsors (Soper Electrical, Davidson Tyres and Gold's Bakery).

Photos below of some of the fundraising we did.
Catering for the Clutha Vets

Rolling the cheese rolls

Grating cheese and making the mixture

Making cheese rolls

Making cheese rolls 

Making cheese rolls

1 comment: